The Blind Owl By Sadeq Hedayat (Translated by Iraj Bashiri), Chapter 11
Chapter 11
I was growing inward incessantly; like the animals that
hibernate during the wintertime, I could hear other peoples' voices with my
ears and my own voice in my throat.
The loneliness and the solitude that lurked behind me were
like a condensed, thick, eternal night, like one of those nights with dense,
persistent, sticky darkness that waits to pounce on unpopulated cities filled
with lustful and vengeful dreams.
But I, this throat that I had turned into, was no more than
an insane, absolute proof.
The force that, out of loneliness, brings two individuals
together to procreate has its roots in this same insanity that exists in
everyone and which is mingled with a sense of regret, tending gradually toward
death…
Only death does not tell lies!
The presence of death annihilates all that is imaginary.
We are the offspring of death and it is that death delivers
us from the tantalizing and fraudulent attractions of life; it is death that
beckons us from the depths of life.
During the ages that we still do not understand language,
when, at times, in the middle of playing we come to a halt, we do so to hear
the call of death… throughout our lives, it is the finger of death that points
at us.
Has it not happened for someone to suddenly and without a
reason experience a moment of deep thought, so deep to lose his bearing in time
and space and not know what he is thinking about?
Then, afterwards, he has to make an effort to become
reacquainted with his situation and the real world?
This is the call of death.
In this damp bed that smelled of sweat, when my eyelids grew
heavy and I was about to surrender to nonexistence and eternal night, all my
lost memories and forgotten fears came to life: fear that the feathers in the
pillow might turn to blades of daggers, that the button on my bed-clothes might
grow as big as a millstone, that the piece of bread that falls to the floor
might shatter like a piece of glass.
I was apprehensive that should I fall asleep, the oil in the
tallow burner might spill over and cause the whole city to go up in flames. The
compulsive thought that the paws of the dog in front of the butcher shop might
echo like the sound of the hoofs of a horse.
Nagging fear that the odds-and-ends man sitting at his
display might suddenly begin to laugh, to laugh so much that he could no longer
control his laughter. Fear that the worm in the footpath of our pond might
become an Indian serpent.
Fear that my quilt might turn into a tombstone with hinges
that would slide and lock its marble teeth and bury me. I was afraid that I
might lose my voice and no matter how much I screamed, nobody would come to my
help. I wished to recall my childhood; but when my wish came true and I felt as
I did in those days, it was as difficult and painful now as it had been then.
Coughs that resounded like the coughs of lean black
packhorses in front of the butcher shop; spitting phlegm with the fear that
there might be traces of blood in it.
Blood, that tepid, salty liquid, the essence of life that
emerges from the depths of the body and must be vomited, and the constant
threat of death that irrevocably tramples over all thought and passes on
without any fear or trepidation.
Life, coolly and dispassionately, reveals to each person his
own mask, as if everyone carried several faces with him!
Some constantly use only one of these masks. Naturally it
becomes dirty and wrinkled. This group is the thrifty group.
The other group saves its masks for their children, and
there are still others who constantly change their masks but as soon as they
begin to age they realize that that had been their last mask and that, before
long, it becomes used and useless. Then their real faces emerge from behind
that last mask. I wonder what lethal influence permeated the walls of my room
that poisoned my thoughts. I was certain that a condemned criminal, before he was
put to death, a chained lunatic, had occupied this room.
Not only the walls of my room, but the view outside, the
butcher, the odds-and-ends man, my nanny, that whore and all that I saw,
including the bowl from which I ate my soup, and my clothes; all these had
conspired to create these thoughts in my mind.
Several nights ago in the cloakroom of the bathhouse, when I
took my clothes off, my thoughts took a different turn.
When the bath-attendant poured water on my head, I felt as
though my black thoughts were washed away.
In the bathchamber I
saw my shadow on the steamy wall. I noticed myself to be delicate and brittle
as I was ten years ago when I was a child. I recalled exactly that my shadow
used to fall on the steamy wall just like that. I looked closely at my body. My
thigh, my calf and the middle of my body; it was a disappointing, lustful
sight.
Their shadows, too, were like they were ten years ago when I
was a child. I felt that my entire life has passed me just like the aimless
shadow, like flickering meaningless shadow, on the wall of a bathhouse.
But the others were sturdy, heavy and robust.
Perhaps they cast a bigger and denser shadow on the steamy
wall of the bathhouse; a shadow that left a trace of its existence for a long
time, while my shadow was erased very quickly.
In the cloakroom when I was dressing, my appearance and my
thoughts, once again, changed. It was as though I had entered a new world; as
if I were reborn in the very world that I hated.
In any event, I had acquired a second life because it was
miraculous that I had not dissolved in the bathing pond, like a chunk of salt
would.


Comments
Post a Comment