The Portmanteau by Bozorg Alavi, Translated by Ali Salami, The whole Story
Part I
It was August-a dull Sunday morning
in Berlin. The intense heat made me toss and turn in bed, sweat oozing at every
pore. However, I was not in the least inclined to get up. The smoke souring up
from the factory chimneys mingled with the mist of the jungle the particles of
which poured in through the window as if they wanted to intensify the pressure
they exerted upon my soul and body. I was then in Berlin. It was about half an
hour that my landlady had laid my breakfast upon the table. But I had no
intention of getting up.
Once
or twice, she had shouted from behind the door: “Sir, you are wanted on the
phone from your father’s residence.”
But I had given no reply. At nine o’clock,
someone hastily knocked on the door and slipped in. At first, I presumed that
it was landlady so I paid n heed. All of a sudden, I was startled by my father’s
voice, springing up on my feet. He took the liberty of ensconcing himself on a
chair, taking out his golden cigarette case from his pocket and lit a cigarette.
“Why is your room so topsy-turvy? Why
don’t you pick up your books? Look! Soap, pen, comb, tie, cigarette holder, and
photo all jumbled up!”
His clean-shaven face emanated a
whiff of cologne which was distasteful to me. He was right. His scrupulous
care, his self-esteem which had descended to him from his forefathers and his camel-like
poise had nothing to do with my wounded delicacy. In his house, he had a
special shelf for soap, a special shelf for cigarettes and a special room for
books.
Today more than ever before, my
noble father had demeaned himself by gracing my house. Was I not the same
prodigal son who after a long strife had left his house on grounds that no
longer wished to eat lunch at one, got to bed at eleven and be ready at the
breakfast table at seven in the morning? As he was smoking , I splashed water
over my face and settled down beside him.
“Don’t you fancy the idea of traveling?”
he asked.
I didn’t understand what he meant.
Did he mean to say “travel or travel with me?”
“I am stone-broke. Give me some
more money this month.” I said, by way of parrying the question.
“It’s good thing I came here.”
“Had I not seen you I would have
borrowed some.”
Knowing that he abhorred the idea
of my borrowing money, I deliberately said it to his face so that he might not
taunt me with his wealth. He fell silent a moment. His silence-this pernicious
habit of his—was a torture to me. His large red eyes in which the brutality of
barbaric father was clearly discernible look which would set fire to me if they
could.
To me, it was both repulsive and fatal.
After a moment’s silence, my father produced his handbook from his pocket,
writing me a check for five marks.
“I am traveling to Sitto, a country
bordering Czechoslovakia (I have forgotten its name). The train is due at
11:00. Go to my house and wait there until the inn keeper’s son takes my portmanteau
to the railway station. You can be there so we may travel together.”
Without looking at him, I said: “All
right.”
“What do you mean all right? Will
you come or will you have my portmanteau taken there?”
“Can’t you take your portmanteau to
the station yourself?”
“I am already busy. It’s 9:00 and I
am about to be somewhere at nine thirty.” He said with complete indifference as
was his custom.
“All right. I’ll drink a cup of
tea. Then I’ll go to bank from where I’ll go to
your residence. I’ll stay there until the inn keeper’s son takes your portmanteau
to the station and comes back.”
“It’ll be too late if you go to the
bank.”
“Unfortunately I don’t have any
money.”
At this he gave a metallic laugh
and so did I. He gave me ten marks. I thanked him. My father departed. I felt
sort of chagrinned. My father was an excellent personification of the past. But
his face? His cologne and tie belonged to the present age but his thought?! He
had to eat at 11:00 sharp or life would come to standstill. Honor be marred and
the holy pillars of family would crumble. It would be nice if sons and
daughters gathered together and chatted while father, the head of the family,
would sit above all, everybody at his beck and call. Father is the god of the
house. He is the reflection of religion in the family or the other way round,
just like the old times. I dressed and walked out.
The gray color of Berlin streets and peculiar look of this city in
August especially on suffocating summer’s day almost killed me. Shall I go to
the country with my father? Will he be going to the frontier to Czechoslovakia?
I shall be going with him. But no, a few days ago, that Russian girl … What was
her name? Katushka … Katushka … When we bade farewell, she put her slender whit
hand with her boney long fingers in mine, she said: “I hope to see you again. I
am going to Sitto. Why don’t you join me there?”
The previous night when she had
rested her white gaunt face upon my lap, when she clung her prominent
cheekbones to mine, she was murmuring something. Was she flattering me? No, in
that state she was incapable of untruth. What was she doing then? Clutching at
my hair, she said: “You are different from other.” All of a sudden, I burst into
a peal of laughter in the middle of street. When I was jolted Into realities, I
perceived that I had walked aimlessly for more than half an hour . I had passed
my father’s residence. A car was coming. I got in. The soft rocking of car lulled
me to slumber like a baby in cot. It was a slumber of different happenings.
Katushka Oslovovna! Where is she going? TO Sitto? I heard this name today. That’s
where my father is going to. I will be going to Sitto with my father to see
Katushka Oslovovna. This name has peculiar music. Katushka … Oslovovna. At all
events, it is worth spending time with these Russian emigrants. She related to
me stories about the prince, the duke, the court, Rasputin, Tsar, Tolstoy and
Siberia. She knew well that I was opposed to her remarks. I only loved her
lips, not the shinning jewelries in her bosom. Every time I disagreed with her,
she pressed her lips upon mine to silence me. She knew that I had put aside all
those words and that I regarded her words as lies and that I knew the truth of
her words. However, she loved me and still does.
Sure, she does.
“Where are you headed?”
“Ten-thirty.”
“To 28 Oland Strasse.”
I was determined to go to Sitto,
but in that case I would not have time to go to, my father’s residence. First, I
went to his residence, put the portmanteau in the car, drew money from my
account and set out for where my father had gone at 1:00 in the afternoon.
Part
II
As our car had a stop for nearly an
hour in Gorlitz, I arrived in Sitto in the evening from where I went to the
Country by train. I left the portmanteau in the railway station and inquired
after Katushka in the country inns. (There were only two.) She was staying at
the Green House Inn. There I rented a room. Katushka, her mother and another
woman had two rooms at the Green House. After a time, I wrote a few words on my
cards: “My dear Katushka, I have just arrived. I wish to see you. Fix the time
and place. F.”
I rang the bell. A nineteen-year-old
maid opened the door. She had blonde hair and greenish eyes. She smiled as I
gave her the card.
“Are you Mr. F? it’s four days since
the Lady has been inquiring after you.”
“From you?”
“You know. I like her. They were
here last year. They gave me a book. You know?”
“What?”
“Mistress confides her secrets to
me.”
“What’s your name?”
“Friedel.”
“Well, Friedel. Will you tell me her
secrets?”
“Please
don’t insist.”
“All right. Don’t tell me if you
don’t wish to.” The girl reflected.
“No, I’ll tell you because I know
Miss Katushka loves you. She’s been inquiring after you since the day she cam
here. Today, a certain gentleman came to mistress. He was with them when they
came here to rent the rooms. Mistress doesn’t like him, you know. I think she
is obliged to be with him. This evening she was wondering when you would come.”
Fishing out a two-mark bill from my
pocket, I furtively thrust it in her hand and asked: “Well Friedel. Tell me
what kind of man is he?”
“I simply don’t know. I didn’t see
him distinctly.”
“All right Friedel, have this card
to mistress and take care nobody notices.”
It was as if cold water had been
poured on me … I thought of leaving the inn and going to where my father was
staying. After all girls are girls. Their tears and smiles are false. If
Katushka is liar, all the girls are liars. But how can these glittering eyes
lie? Have not there eyes and cheeks ensnared me? That man must also be in love
with beauty. In what ways am I superior to him? In fact, she may love me but
his bank account is surely bigger than mine. Yes, money is the first pillar of holly
foundation of family. I wish I had not sent her the card. Why should I have
cheapened myself by sending her the card? But as the girl was aware of
everything, I could not do otherwise. Friedel came back. On a card, Katushka
Oslovovna had written: “My mother wishes to make your acquittance and invites
you to have dinner with us in the veranda.” … Now I must change my clothes,
observe etiquette and kiss her mother’s hand… I’ve come for the sole purpose of
kissing Katushka’s cheeks and looking into her eyes’. Excuse me tonight. I
should call on my father as I’ve already planned to. Katushka Oslovovna. I
uttered the name aloud. It actually escaped my tongue. The door opened. Katushka
entered and stepped up to me.
“You came at last! I had no hope of
you coming,” she observed.
The soft music of her voice made me
forget all I thought of her. Kissing her hand, I seated her on the coach.
“Yes, I came at last,” I answered.
Perching on the edge of the coach,
I put my hands round her neck. She gazed at me.
“I’d forsaken all hopes of your
coming.”
“Why?”
“Why?! Do I not know you? You are
fundamentally a daydreamer. You are never awake. Now that I am talking to you,
you are not listening to me.”
She was right. At that moment, I
was watching the rosy flowers on her white gown. I had feasted my eyes on her
voluptuously white breasts which were visible through her transparent batiste.
Her shapely neck, now wrapped in black muffler, gave me enormous delight. I
gazed at her black eyelashes which had almost curtained her eyes. I was not
listening to her remarks simply because they were so commonplace. My eyes were
fixed into hers.
“I came in person so as to ask not
refuse my mother’s invitation,” she said.
“What made you think that I wouldn’t
turn up?”
“I know you hate such formalities,”
she said.
For answer, I pressed my lips upon
hers, sucking them awhile. She knew me so well. (How did she know me so well?)
This question would be an insult to her. This girl was oversentimental. Still,
she was incapable of false feelings. Was such a thing possible? “It’s a month
since we have known each other. But it seems I have known you ever since I knew
myself. Where did I first see you? In a dream? Yes, In a dream. Maybe I was
then fifteen years old. I was always in love with greenish eyes like yours. I’ve
always loved blond hair like yours. Do you remember what I told you the first
night we met? I have always cherished an illusion. Now I see it manifested in
you, in your lugubrious thoughts, in your life and in your trouble soul. You
know my life well. You are an odd people. I know well that your love is not
forever. It’s a wave that comes and goes. A wave goes but water remains for all
the time to come. You will forget me, won’t you? But I won’t forget you. My
dream has eventually come true. My life is not wasted away. So far, I’ve been
fostering this illusion. From this onwards, the reminiscence of those days will
keep me alive. You can’t marry me. So how can you live with me your entire
life? But as long as I am with you I …”
She burst into an agony of tears.
“I’ll have to get married sooner or
later,” she sobbed.
Now her mystery broke upon my
understanding. The man with whom she had newly become acquainted was to become
her husband. Katushka might love me without being my legal wife if she wished
so and other factors didn’t compel her. But now she was compelled by nobody
neither by father nor by mother but by an accursed ghastly demon, money,
society and environment to sell herself for an entire life so as she may sustain
life. All the girls sell themselves either for an hour or a day at a low price
or for an entire life to keep soul and body together.
“Stop crying Katushka. Now you see
why I detest the world so intensely.”
She did not understand what I said
but kissed me a kiss which could have been given by none but a Russian black-haired
girl.
“When shall we meet again?” She
asked.
“Can we go for a little turn after
dinner?”
“All right. After dinner.”
Final Part
On
the whole, I had a dull time having dinner with Katushka, her mother, and the
other woman. After dinner, Katushka and I went for a turn. We walked for more
than half an hour. The Sky was being mildly enveloped in darkness.
Leisurely we perambulated through
the cypress trees in the woods. A thin mass of cloud had rendered the sky blue.
The routes were silent and solemn. The barking of dogs fell upon our ears from
afar. Katushka was murmuring a Russian song and I was listening. Half an hour
rolled away. On a hill in the woods was mounted a scaffolding. Katushka was
tired.
“Would you like to rest awhile?”
“Good idea!”
“Let’s go up the scaffolding.”
“I dread I may fall.”
“Don’t fear. I’ll help you up. The
air here is rather unbeatable. Up there, the air is far better.”
The scaffolding had five steps. The
instant she put her foot on the first step, the scaffolding made a jerk. Katushka
flung herself into my arms. It was a propitious moment for us to exchange passionate
kisses once more. Then, I helped her up. We were surrounded by black trees whose
tops quavered like ripples. Softly and soulfully, Katushka resumed murmuring
the same Russian song. I held her hand in mine and called her name. For answer
she reclined her head upon my shoulder. If only this silence would elongate
itself into eternity! An instant
afterwards, she asked: “What brought you here?”
“First, I had promised you so.”
“And second ….”
“Second, I came here because my
father is here.”
“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”
“It was hardly worth mentioning.
You respect your parents so much. My attitude, however, is the exact opposite, in
everything, I mean.”
“Acquaint me with him or are you
ashamed of doing that?”
“Why should I be? I simply don’t
like it. But if you wish, tomorrow, I ….”
She buried her face in my arms.
“Not tomorrow.”
“Why not tomorrow?” She put her
hands round my neck, covering me with frantic kisses and wept excoriating
tears. I unclasped her hands from my neck, taking her cheeks between my two
hands and cast a glance into her eyes in the dark.
“Stop crying Katushka. I understand
you. Such is you’re your world. I love you, Katushka. I love you so much that I
can’t buy you. We had better continue to cherish this illusion. Beside, it’s
not a bad one. It consoles us, and inspires hope and courage. You intend to go
for a turn with that new-comer tomorrow, don’t you? Well, we shall meet each
other tomorrow night.”
“Don’t fancy that I’ll be alone
with him. Mom will accompany us. We’ll be his guests at the White Horse Inn
tomorrow night. Come without fail. I want to introduce him to you. I wish to
know your opinion about him.”
“All right, Katushka. I should call
on my father first. After which I’ll join you at White Horse Inn tomorrow
night.”
We said no more. Then ardent kisses
and caresses spoke for us. Gradually, the moon emerged into sight. It was late.
We climbed down the scaffolding. The doves, intoxicated by the moonlight, were
billing and cooing. We took great pleasure in giving ear to those warbling
birds. It was already 11:00 when I arrived home. I called Friedel. She brought
me wine. After some time, the sound of music came to my ears from my neighbour’s
room. For a while, I indulged in wine and cigarettes.
At 9:00 in the morning, I came out
of my bedroom. At first, I paced up and down the corridor for some time.
Friedel, with a white kerchief round her head, was cleaning the rooms. She told
me that Katushka and her mother had gone for a turn. I made for the railway
station from where I got on a coach while I had my father’s portmanteau with me
and set out for the White Horse Inn where my father staying. I got there at
2:30 but my father wasn’t there. I was told that he had left early in the
morning. I left the portmanteau with the inn keeper and set out. I reached
Green House Inn in the evening but Katushka wasn’t there. Again, Friedel made
her appearance. Unlike usual, she was attired in a gorgeous dress.
“Sir, the ladies came and went.”
“You look good tonight, Friedel.”
“I am going to a dance with my fiancĂ©e.”
Upon having dinner, I set out for
White Horse Inn on foot. I arrived there at 9:00. I was told that my father was
in the hall downstairs. I dismounted the stairs and opened the door.
Astonishment seized me when my
glance fell on Katushka sitting beside my father. The waiter was removing the
used goblets, replacing them with new ones. My father was clean shaven.
Katushka was wearing her blue gown and looked prettier than even before.
Immediately, I stormed out. On my card, I scribbled a few words and gave it to
the waiter to hand it to Katushka.
“My dear Katushka, You had asked me
to introduce my father to you. He is the same man sitting beside you. You had asked
me to give my opinion about your would be husband. He’ll make a good husband.
You’ll be happy with him. F.”
I turned to the inn keeper and
said: “The portmanteau belongs to the man sitting beside that lady.”


Comments
Post a Comment