A Homo Sapiens' Journey
As I look at this white page in front of me, a scene
comes to my mind. I don't know if anyone saw or read 1984 by George
Orwell. The scene where Winston Smith opened his notebook and wrote
about Ingsoc, the party, and so forth... In the corner, away from the TV and Big
Brother, he tried to have a thought; he tried to say something to someone, or perhaps no
one, about the state he was living in. However, that act alone was a crime by
itself. The damage a simple thought could cause was meant to be a satire, but
in the eyes of people who live in the House of Cards, it is unimaginable.
Today, which is October 30th, 2023, I feel like Winston
Smith. Even though the end result of his actions is a nightmare for whoever
lives on Earth, and full of weakness of muscle, bones, and nerve system, add to
that the psychological damage that they could incur must be enough warning to
stay away from that outcome.
On the other hand, I feel numb about all this. Maybe, if I
was privileged and the best-selling author in the New York Times, I would be
busy writing something mundane and sugary novel romance for the readers now
instead of this. I spent seven years writing that novel, yet it was a slight
noise of drops of water against the crushing noise of the waterfall or a stormy
sea. Who had time to read that book when there was a tragedy unfolding itself?
The people were afraid of coming the next day. Confusion and fear reduced most
people's brains to that of a lizard.
Just to survive.
And here comes my book in the midst of all of this.
To tell you the truth, I don't know.
I don't know what decision-making in my life brought me to
this side of the world. Naively, I thought I was getting away from all the
drama that I was facing every day and every moment of my life. There was always
a program or talk about Iran's war against Iraq, and in the eyes of people in
power, we were fighting against the whole world.
How is that for propaganda?
After those programs, there were movies about that war,
either fiction or nonfiction; it didn't matter. It was accessible for every age
and demographic. A child no older than seven could see that last breath and
twitch death of solder. The empty gazing that looked nowhere. The body that
didn't want to die. A child who couldn't write his or her name correctly was
watching that scene.
Perhaps they are watching now, too.
If it wasn't that, it was about the time of the reigning
Shah and how Khomeini, with the help of people, primarily thanks to Khomeini
and his gangs, which they made sure we notice over and over again through the
TV or history, society, and religious textbooks to remember that, to overturn that regime. If not, there
goes your good mark in three subjects in school.
If that wasn't enough, there is a matter of people who died,
killed, or murdered over a thousand years ago. As a good citizen, you had to
accept all the teachings and the dogma without any question.
Now, we don't want to be infidel, right?
The punishment for the audacity of questioning that dogma
was a chance of getting disappeared. This is what the parents taught their
children from the moment they dropped them off in kindergarten to graduating
from university.
Don't ever ask the question of why a child who doesn't
understand the concept of death, let alone honor, had to be sad or cry for a
person who was unjustly murdered or ambushed over a thousand years ago.
That aside, now that child had to understand the injustice
that happened over a thousand years ago to another kingdom, or shall I say
empire, between the promise and will of a prophet who promised his seat to his
son-in-law: reminder, no question about the craziness of fighting over
something that happened such long ago.
Then, in the same breath, they preach that Allah is
mercifully and forgiving, but not that mercifully and compassionate, you
understand?
Now, kid, cry. Cry and don't ask for the injustice that
happened over a thousand years ago, so that great person in heaven who has
nothing better to do but just watch who is crying for him or not, so he could
vouch for you after you die. Cry, hit to your head by two hands, hard and firm,
role in mud for that injustice. As long as you believe in Allah, not God, you
end up in heaven.
Then, what is the Heaven that they are promising?
How the Hell could they know? They didn't die to know that,
they say. However, there is a passage in Holy Literacy that they claim, which
describes something like a beautiful place such as New Zealand, Denmark,
Finland, the Scandinavian region, European countries, and such and such, or
even a piece of land if you care and look after it.
Don't ever forget about the castle that by doing every good
deed, you'll add one brick to it and vice versa. After all, you must have that
much space to be comfortable, right?
Forget and don't ask why in this world you are expected to
live precisely the opposite of what is promised after your death if you are a
good servant; remember that you aren't a slave, no matter who says so, to the
higher power in religions, politics, and at the end Allah. Remember, not God,
but Allah.
Scaping that craziness, and mandatory military, on that side
of the world to a twenty-three hours flight to this side of the world, only to
be involved in different types of craziness.
Remember, they were propagating about the war between Iran and
Iraq, in which I was involved when I was a two-year-old boy.
In here, they even go further; they talk about the Great
War, and cherry on top of the war they can't get enough of, World War II. They
even make and use the Roman number to make it cool. The thing that only brought
horror and nightmare to the survivors, it is a cool and best propagating tool
to raise the patriotic blood of that young man.
They made a system as a PG to reduce or increase exposure to
violence, as the age requires, unlike the savagery of Iran, which doesn't care
who sees it.
In here, thoughtful people are looking after their citizens,
right?
After all, they want you to have that extraordinary and
unimaginable experience firsthand. They want you to feel and experience the
warm blood of enemies or friends on your face, to smell their guts when they spill
out from the wound, to hear the moans and agony of a person whom you befriended
a few days or month ago, the begging and tearful eyes, who see you as the only
savior; those shaking hands that grab you for dear life which speaks volume
that beg you not to let go of him.
Oh, such an experience, wouldn't you want it?
Then you see a child who is no older than your young sister
or daughter; her blue or dark eyes remind you of your own sister or daughter, crying
in the rubble. A place where it was her home just last night now is a grave to
her parents and her siblings. She looks at you, the face of yours, which is
full of the blood of enemies or friends you achieved and unlocked like those
video games. She cries and mumbles in a language that you don't understand. You
get closer because she reminds you of that dear one in your home, only to see
her in more distress and louder cry.
Then your surgent yells at you to get it together because
you are a soldier, not a human, right?
To the next mission and achievement, right? It was for a
good cause, and there was no other way to avoid it. Doesn’t that make
everything OK? There was no other way, they said. The most honest to the God
people in power told you. They tried everything to avoid it, but those bastards
warmongers only wanted war. They could put their hands on the Bible and swear,
in the same breath when they take office, that they are telling their people
the truth, and only the facts.
That young man wears the uniform, listens to those
trustworthy politicians, not the veterans, and goes on this adventure. He wants
to go and snipe out people's heads with .50 Caliber BMG, just like a video
game. How could they be different than those pixelations on monitors or TVs? In
the past, he hunted some animals. How different could it be? Both of them bleed
(The Batman vs Superman joke, probably in his head). It could be an awesome
adventure. Until he sees the bullet wound on his uniform. The bullet wound that
broke his leg bone, the same fractured bone, punctures the artery. Now, he
understands the fear in the eyes of his supposed enemies. The reason his
enemies don't want to die. Not like this, or any form. He is going to heaven,
at least, isn't he? His friends can't help him now; first, they have to remove
the threat; that’s what the training required them to do. The reason is that if
the threat is alive, he could add more bodies to their burden until the group
gets overwhelmed. His brothers and sisters, the people he call who trained with
him every day, would take care of him, right? He consoles himself that way
until a bullet, or maybe an RPG, screws that hope as well. It is only at that
moment that he allows himself to ask a simple question. Where the hell is he?
Why the home seems to be too far away now? Why is he here? Is there an
afterlife after this? Why is he asking these questions now? Why didn't he ask
them earlier? He understands the fear in the eyes of his enemies now.
The civilized politician on this side of the ocean, unlike
the uncivilized barbarian counterpart, wants to protect their young ones by blinding
them to think or understand this ugly face of war. Show them how glorious the
war is. It is fun. You could get the girl of your dreams if you joined the
army. How could she resist you if you showed her all the muscle you made in the
military, which you could get in the gym as well? This is what they offer in
their advertisement. They tell you that you could be that Rambo,
that Commando, or the top of the food chain, that guy in Top
Gun. Meanwhile, behind the doors, they shake hands with their
investors or those who "Donated" to their farce campaign. Those
weapon manufacturers want their guns used like last quarter. The numbers, their
numbers, need to go up. For how much or how long? That is an irrelevant
question. By the way, if you continue to ask such questions, unlike their
counterpart that calls you an infidel, they call you socialist, communist, neo-Nazy,
the good old Nazy, imperialist, authoritiest and add so many other ist, that
you need whole dictionary memorized to understand the label they put on you.
You were brought here to work, not ask questions, they say
to me.
They say to me that if I have so much extra time in my hand
to ask these questions, why don't I work more overtime to pay more taxes? The
taxes that they take away from my paycheck, from every bill that I pay, from
the food and groceries that I buy, from every orifice that I use, from the
parking spot that I use for work, from the parking spot that I use in my home,
from the house that I think I bought, from the insurance for the messed they
made in bank, For the phone and the service that I use to be called by my
company to come to work and for that little time I found in my schedule. For
the sake of my sanity, I just end it there.
All that for what? For not having even a train to go from my
city to others, for that two-way traffic road that I have to travel for four
hours in summer and winter to get to the job that I am assigned to. By the way,
I have to pay taxes for the carbon I made for that travel.
Paying all those taxes for what? For a prime minister who
wants to be adventurous by my tax? For paying his Luxrious and Secured travel
to warm countries just to rob it off? For bailing out a corrupted company, by
the way, that killed the EV, which anyway I am paying taxes for. For showing
his generosity by my money to other countries that we have no business going to
war for?
Now that we have established how civilized and reasonable
the politicians are. How about the religious thing? Do the people have that
kind of freedom of thinking, or is it another dogma?
They say; that as long as you believe in something, it is
alright.
Well, when I tell them that I only see other religions as
dogma and another cash grab for my pocket, they look at me as if they found a
new species, a Yetis or something. Their pitch meeting was that the age of
Earth is not over five thousand years, and in response, of course, I told him,
Dude, I know a tree older than five thousand years old.
As they say, they usually answer sagely, as they say.
I ask them what this religion of yours gives you in return
for being obedient, not slave, as the God, Allah, and other Gods agree not to
call their obedient such a foul name.
They answer immortality and peace.
You have to kiss your political career goodbye if you think
and ask, how? Or even Why?
You see, we cannot endure each other for a few years without
going to the war; the cause of it, is mainly out of boredom.
Your better other half always tries to get a rise out of
you. They say that they love you; however, not ten minutes after their
confession, they bring up a stupid argument only to see if you are still in
love with them by banging your head to the wall or pulling out all your hair at
once.
From the smallest unit of society, which we call family, to
the biggest, which we call the whole society or country, it is the same. The
only difference is the scale of it.
If, after many hours, I could cross and communicate my
concern to that religious guy, what would they give me as an answer to that
question? Well, God is all-powerful, and surely he can purify you and anyone
else from that temptation.
You see, they don't even see the trap. If the Omnipotent God
removes the smallest part of me for the greater good, Let us say a small amount
of my personality. Like forgetting something or forgetting about that part of
my desire, then as well He or She may continue and make a completely different
person or a clone. That person wouldn't be me. It could be anyone else who
looks like me and talks like me, but still, that thing isn't me. Do you want me
to show you an example to drive home my argument? Well, look at the patients
who have Alzheimer’s; they are the same people that we grew up to love, but are
they the same as well? Do they see us as before? Or, to them, in their world,
we are just strangers. Isn't it cruel to have that part of memory removed from
them? They wouldn't know that they had children or how important and strong
feelings they had for them. Isn't that cruel for any reason? Even if the cause
is to make them forget they had children because their children ended up in
Hell and burning for eternity, as their teaching says, makes them sad. Show me
a parent that, from the bottom of their heart, wants to see their children
burned forever or, even worse, not knowing that their memories can be relied on
because of that possibility. Even Ivan the Terrible mourned until his deathbed
for killing his son accidentally.
All I am saying is that what makes me an individual is
because of all the memories and thoughts that I have. This mess of imperfection
is all me; remove a partiality of that memory, thought, or even desire, and that
person wouldn’t be me.
Also, doesn't this throw a stone at that pond of that
magnificent designer whose designs are all perfect and to the point? Tell that
to that plastic surgeon who patients come to their office to have an
improvement on that perfect design.
I don’t want to go deeper than that because the ones who know
what I am talking about know all about this, and it would be boring for them to
continue on that path. The ones that don’t understand, as little experience that
I have with them, no amount of evidence, no amount of thought experience, no
amount of documentation or logic can convince them otherwise. Therefore, I copy
a page of attitude from that French mathematician, Fermat, and say this, maybe
I explain later.
Now, to that freedom of speech.
To Be continued…


Comments
Post a Comment